[GCC-XML] Hi!

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Jan 18 14:07:06 EST 2001

> I just noticed that this list was setup a couple of days ago.  I was
> curious to know what the status is on gcc-xml.
There is now a project homepage for GCC-XML:
http://public.kitware.com/GCC_XML/

> In fact at the boost list (www.boost.org) a while back when the Boost
> Python Library was being reviewed and added by David Abrahams I had
> expressed my desire for the library to be able to parse c++ and
> automatically generate the wrapper code for Python.  However, the
> general consensus at the time was that there were no good quality
> parsers that would do the job. gcc-xml sounds like just the solution!
Actually, wrapper generation is the exact reason I wrote the extension.
I too needed a C++ parser, and I experimented with several other options
(OpenC++, for example) before settling on GCC.  I actually have written
working Tcl wrapper generators that parse the XML output from the
prototype implementation of the extension.  They aren't mature enough to
do anything useful yet (no build environment).  You still have to walk
through the generation steps by hand, but the wrappers can do just about
everything (even wrapping preselected template instantiations).

Over the next few months I will be finishing the Tcl wrappers and
extending the generators to create bindings in Python, Java, and hopefully
others too.  These will all support a great deal of C++, including type
conversion, overload resolution, and template function and class
instantiations (on top of what tools like SWIG allow).