[GCC-XML]licensing

Dupont, Michael michael.dupont at mciworldcom.de
Fri Mar 1 03:35:13 EST 2002

Brad,

I brought up this issue yesterday on the gcc mailling list, and in emails to
stallman and torvalds.

>>The rest of your application is
>>free to be under whatever license you choose.  It can process the output
>>from GCC-XML and do whatever it wants.
It turns out that the processing of the output of gcc can be considered a
derived work of the gcc.
just because it is going through a network/file or memory does not make is
not derived.

2. I wrote to this topic to Richard Stallman.
Richard Stallman said to me in the question if the
data exchange over the network is not linking and
therefore not covered by the GPL
"We have a different interpretation of the situation.
Connecting modules through sockets or pipes does not
necessarily mean they are separate programs. In simple
cases they are separate, but not when they exchange
complex data structures."

That would support the idea that all these are derived
works and fall under the GPL.

3. Linus Torvalds said :
>Feel free to consider this email (in its >entirety,
not snipped into pieces) as being >public, so if you
think you want to post it, go >ahead.
>The GPL notion of "linking" is really nothing but >a
specific technical way of trying to define >"derived
work".
>From a legal standpoint, technical issues have >some
validity, but in the end the _only_ thing >that
matters is whether it is derived or not. >Linking is
only one (strong) indicator that it is >indeed
derived. There are others. There are
>counter-indicators as well, of course, one of >them
being "previous work" (thus my willingness, >for
example, to have binary modules that were >basically
derived from SCO device drivers that >existed prior to
Linux - one of the original >impetuses for the module
interface).
>And intent matters.
>Linus

Hope that you find that interesting.