[GCC-XML]RedHat 7.3 install problems

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Feb 28 10:31:24 EST 2003

Hi Evan,

> I just downloaded both the binary distro and the patched source of gcc
> 3X. I would rather use the binary distro (since it looks easy to
> install), but I couldn't get it to work. The thing kept crashing with a
> seg fault.

Please send me the command line and test file you used when it crashed,
along with the output generated before the crash.

> In looking at the full tar ball, it looks like I will need to install
> the 3X GCC compiler, and I guess my question is, is there a better way?

There are two parts to building GCC-XML.  One is the actual patched GCC
parser, which is just the gccxml_cc1plus executable.  You can probably
just use a copy of this out of the tarball.  Building this is the only
part that requires the 3.x source, and even then you don't actually have
to install the 3.x compiler.

The other part is everything else.  If you install cmake (www.cmake.org),
it should be very easy to build the non-GCC part of GCC-XML from source.

> I have an existing install of Linux with the 2.96 compiler that came
> with this redhat distro, and I'd like to keep it that way. Has anyone
> had any luck getting this thing to work in such an environment?

Several people have reported success on this platform, but I don't think
they were using the binary tarball.  The tarball is relatively new, and is
not well tested.