[GCC-XML]Some questions

Dmitry Shaporenkov dsha at tercom.ru
Tue Mar 11 04:38:54 EST 2003

Hi all,
I've downloaded gccxml and tried it out.
I've used very simple, "Hello, world" - test,
and some questions arise while I looking at the output:

1) Does gccxml parse and generate function bodies? I cannot notice
anything resembling code in the output. It seems that the information about
a function includes name, arguments, return type but not the function
body.

2) It would be nice to have more detailed information about the location
of constructs. As far as I understand, only the first line of function
definition is currently included in the output.

I think that the output would ideally contain the entire parse tree
with detailed connection to the source text. Using such a
representation, it would be easy to build various tools that need to deal with
C/C++-code (and it is the final purpose of the project, as I can see it).
For example, let's suppose we are going to create a tool that enables
automatic renaming of all occurrences of an identifier (taking into
account language visibility rules). Beyond other issues, we will need the entire
parse tree to find all occurrences of the identifier.

Since I'm newbie to gccxml, I can miss something, in which case I'm sorry.
Thanks in advance for your opinion.

--
Regards,
 Dmitry Shaporenkov