[GCC-XML] XCIL

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Sep 8 18:11:11 EDT 2004

Jason Stanek wrote:
> How related would you say GCCXML output is to XCIL?  Advantages of one
> over the other?

I do not know much about XCIL, but here is a quick list of comments:

  - XCIL is a specification, GCC-XML is an implementation
  - XCIL is not specific to C++, GCC-XML is only for C++
  - XCIL includes function bodies, GCC-XML shows interface only

I think the primary difference is that XCIL is intended as an
intermediate language suitable for compilation.  GCC-XML output
specifies the interface provided by the code.  This is a very different
focus.

 From the examples I've seen, GCC-XML output tends to be much shorter
than the original source code because it specifies only the interface.
On the other hand, XCIL is much longer than the original source because
it includes all the information but with the verbose nature of XML.