[GCC-XML] Function bodies

Daniel J. Lauk dj at djlauk.de
Mon Jan 30 18:02:05 EST 2006

Am Montag, 30. Januar 2006 21:42 schrieb Brad King:
> With function bodies contained in the output pretty much all the
> information in the translation unit is available, and the format looks
> alot like GCC's internal representation.  Information beyond that
> available in the original code, such as function overload resolution
> following C++ rules, has been added by GCC's code.  This could be
> considered a linking layer.

Well it _is_ GCC's internal representation indeed. It's a plain dump of
exactly that. I simply traverse the tree and dump anything that comes my way.
I don't know if this helps, but I concentrated on the tree _structure_. Most
elements are empty, besides for the declarations, which I need to track.

> Since GCC's code cannot call the user's code through this interface the
> "link" is only in one direction, but I don't know if this helps.
> Someone with legal experience will have to review the GPL.  In the worst
> case someone that uses the output produced with the -fxml-body option
> may be bound by the GPL.

So, what next steps would you propose? I guess as nobody at Kitware was eager
to have the body dumped, Kitware wouldn't be interested in having their legal
department help on this, would they?

To anybody on this list, who has legal expertise, please drop me a note on the
following.
What's really important to me: At which level of indirection would the GPL not
be applicable?
1) Would my code have to be GPLed?
2) Would code, that processes the body dump, have to be GPLed?
3) Would code, that is being dumped (and further processed), have to be GPLed?

Best regards,
DJ