[GCC-XML] C++ Function Definitions

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Apr 30 20:40:33 EDT 2007

Sandeep Kakarlapudi wrote:
> Can I rely on the fact that definitions are preferred over
> declarations as far as the source location attributes are concerned?

GCC-XML just dumps whatever location the GCC parser produces.  I do not
know whether the behavior you observe is reliable.  I will say that I've
noticed this behavior too, and that it has never changed since I first
wrote the GCC-XML dump code.

You should probably not trust the line numbers directly.  They may not
point to the function body exactly.  For that the top-level function
definition complex-statement structure would have to be accessed and
dumped.  GCC-XML does not do this since it is not part of the
declaration, if I remember correctly.

I suggest you use the line numbers just to start a search for a
definition, but still use something else to finalize the decision about
adding code.

Out of curiosity, what do you want to add to the beginning of every
function?