[GCC-XML] Help interpreting gccxml description in order to better translate its description

Pascal J. Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Sat Jan 3 00:19:22 EST 2015

> On 02 Jan 2015, at 19:23, Beatrice <beatricet at libero.it> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> I am part of the Italian translation team of Debian. We work, among
> other things on the translations of the package descriptions.
>
> The description of libgccxml-dev package in Debian quotes part of your
> webpage description of gccxml, particularly this sentence:
>
> «There is one C++ parser, the C++ front-end to GCC, which is currently
> able to deal with the language in its entirety. The purpose of the
> GCC-XML extension is to generate an XML description of a C++ program
> from GCC's internal representation.»
>
> We are trying to find an agreement on how to translate this. Can you
> please tell me if, when you
> say "There is one..." you mean :
>
> a) There is "1" (as in there is "only 1")
>
> or
>
> b) There is a C++ parser....
>
> Thanks,

On don't think we can assign full mathematical veracity to such a statement.
Therefore you should probably translate from "There is a C++ parser."

(I have doubt that the number of C++ parser able to deal really with the language in its entirety is even 1 (because I've been told, C++ is not context-free, so you need information from the back end to be able to "parse" "correctly" C++) ; and if you consider that the C++ front-end ot GCC is able to do that, then nowadays, there are probably more than 1 parsers that are able to do the same).

--
__Pascal J. Bourguignon__