[GCC-XML]gcc2xml and macros

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon May 6 13:35:30 EDT 2002

Sebastien,

>  - What is the link with  <http://introspector.sourceforge.net/>
> http://introspector.sourceforge.net/, if any ?

The developers of GCC-node-introspector and GCC-XML have known about each
other for some time.  However, the projects are somewhat different.
GCC-XML is used to dump a representation of the C++ input to GCC. Node
Introspector is used to dump a representation of GCC's internal data
structures.

>  - is there a xml -> gcc frontend already built ?

No.  The GCC-XML output is not intended to be something that can be
compiled again.  Function bodies are not included, and there is no
ordering of the translation unit.

>  - is it possible to introduce some "new macros" contructions in C/C++ that
> gccxml will leave untouched and that could be interpreted on an XML
> processor ?

GCC-XML is just a patched version of GCC's C++ front-end.  The full C
preprocessor is run before the XML dump code is even reached.

> In fact, I would like to replace those difficult templates with a
> nicer notation that will be processed in an XML processor.

I'd be interested in a motivating example for this project.  I've found
the C++ template syntax to be quite simple once it is learned.