[GCC-XML] Updated gccxml DTD

Martin Piskernig martin.piskernig at univie.ac.at
Sun Nov 14 13:26:30 EST 2004

Hi!

First let me thank you for your excellent software! I wanted to write a
C++ parser for my thesis on my own but already after some days gave up
frustrated its very complex syntax. Then I discovered gccxml and I saw
some light on the horizon :-)

To learn about the possible tags and attributes I have created an
updated gccxml DTD based on a July 2003 file by Paul Ross. It should
cover all tags and attributes from gccxml's CVS as of today.

I'm not totally sure about REQUIRED and IMPLIED attributes so I chose
what I can see from the generated files.

I created some quite big (1-3MB) XML files from various C++ libraries
and they seem to have no validation problems (tested with xmllint).

However, if you have some problem with the DTD just email me!

One minor problem: In the xml.c file a destructor is parsed similar to a
constructor or a method (in function xml_output_function_decl). But
there is one difference: A destructor has no arguments so it would be
nice to add a check where you parse the arguments to skip that section
if the current tag is a destructor and close the <Destructor tag
with /> instead of creating an empty <Destructor ...></Destructor> tag.

The DTD chokes on this currently so I told it (incorrectly) that a
destructor can have arguments.

Regards,
Martin