[GCC-XML] ICE in latest GCC-XML

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Sep 25 12:15:55 EDT 2009

Patrick Hartling wrote:
> I am using the latest GCC-XML CVS HEAD code on a 64-bit Ubuntu 9.04
> installation, and I am running up against at least one segmentation
> fault in GCC-XML. The error message that is display is the following:
>
> % gccxml opensg.h -fxml=output.xml
> opensg.h:22214: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
>
> I have been working on trying to narrow this down using a preprocessed
> version of the source in question. The current state of the input file
> is here:
>
>    http://www.infiscape.com/misc/opensg.h.bz2

I was able to strip that down to this:

  template <bool> struct A {};
  template <class T> struct B { int x; };
  template <class T> struct C {
    static int const x = sizeof(A<(__builtin_offsetof(B<T>, x) == 0)>);
  };

Does that reproduce the ICE for you?

> Are there ways for me to build or run GCC-XML to get more information
> when an error like this occurs?

If you add the --print option you will see the command line options
used by the gccxml front-end to run gccxml_cc1plus which is the
tool actually crashing.  If you build it debug then you can run
it all in gdb.