[GCC-XML] GCC backend upgrade

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Mar 7 11:36:26 EST 2013

On 02/10/2013 01:39 PM, Alex Leach wrote:
> Long story short, I thought I'd have a go at upgrading GCCXML's backend
> compiler to GCC4.7.2. I made a fork on github a week ago and have been
> working on it since.

Wonderful, I'm glad you've stepped forward to work on this!

I've finally had a chance to look through some of the work, though I'm
sorry I don't have time now to answer your questions.

I just made some changes to upstream gccxml to make this update easier.
First I re-tabified all the original GCC sources:

 https://github.com/gccxml/gccxml/commit/2cbad55dd62f9c13cfab050ff53fc7cffc3515f1

Then I started an "upstream snapshot" branch that extracts the original
gcc 4.2.1 sources (like a vendor branch from CVS):

 https://github.com/gccxml/gccxml/commit/de211e56086124ec676897fd2d779f9c85c773fe

and merged it in with "-s ours":

 https://github.com/gccxml/gccxml/commit/b88a06a4e788723816d9e2db11cbdb74ac9e6e52

That will allow us to extend the upstream snapshot branch with a new
gcc version and merge it to bring in upstream changes.

I started a topic to do just such an upstream snapshot and merge,
published here:

 https://github.com/bradking/gccxml/tree/update-gcc

I resolved the conflicts as described in the merge commit message
using your "re-apply" commit for guidance in a few cases (thanks!).
This approach preserves history cleanly.

Finally, I cherry-picked your build system updates onto the head
of the topic, but that is still a work in progress and I have not
tried to make the build work yet.  Please fetch the topic and take
it from here if you have time.  I don't know when I'll have time.

> If you would be interested in merging any of it back into the main
> repository, please let me know and I'll make a Pull Request. I think I
> should get it working first, though...

If we can get it in good shape I'm interested, of course.  This may
allow us to support newer compilers that make use of C++11 constructs
in their system headers.

> One last thing worth mentioning. I had a look at the other fork, by Andrej
> Mitrovic, and incorporated some of his feature additions, like putting C++
> attributes into XML tags and detection of Pod, Anon and TypeScoped C++
> Types.

Let's keep the gcc update topic separate from new features for now.

Thanks,